The Innovation Advisory Committee provides a pre-application collaborative venue to develop solutions to issues raised by innovative energy-efficiency proposals that are not addressed by existing code requirements.
- Creates an opportunity for sustainable building projects seeking high levels of energy efficiency
- Provides early review guidance on permitting in advance of a building permit application
- Considers proposals that may not be approved under current Building, Residential, Energy, Mechanical,
Fuel Gas, Boiler, and Electrical codes
- Convenes mechanical and electrical engineers with experts in sustainable technologies, new construction
techniques and utility representatives as needed
- Reviews emerging technologies that could be used in multiple future projects or are being proposed for a specific project
- Reduces risk through timely consideration of new technology or green building strategies
- A committee of the Construction Codes Advisory Board
How to Access the Committee
The committee is convened as needed upon request. Requests to the committee should be made before a permit application is submitted. Design teams should contact DPD at (206) 684-8850 to schedule an Innovative Technology presubmittal conference prior to requesting committee consideration. Early discussion of code requirements and DPD processes will simplify, and may eliminate the need for committee review. Project proponents are strongly encouraged to request committee consideration as early as possible to ensure design concepts are acceptable for committee review.
Proponents should allow up to three months for committee review and consideration. The amount of time needed will depend on the complexity of the proposal and the information needed to properly review the proposed project or technology. Please see the Innovation Advisory Committee Process for the full list of requested and required materials.
What will the Innovation Advisory Committee recommendation provide?
A favorable recommendation will be considered by DPD permit review staff as supporting documentation for approval of the innovative technology. The recommendation may include:
- Conditions and limits on use of the technology
- Disclosure of the innovative features to current and future owners
of the property
- Requirements for measurement and verification of the technology
Though DPD is not bound by Innovation Committee recommendations, a favorable recommendation will be strongly considered if the same issue is brought to the Construction Codes Advisory Board as part of a permit application appeal.