A City at Work: Images from the Seattle Municipal Archives Photo Collection
Public Market: Introduction
In 1907, the City designated the west side of Pike Place a public farmer's market and appointed a Market Master to manage the publicly-owned sections of the Pike Place Market. Since then, the Market has expanded and been a mainstay of Seattle life. The Market was rehabilitated in the early 1970's and is managed by the Pike Place Market Preservation & Development Authority, a nonprofit, public corporation chartered by the City. In 2008, Seattle voters passed a $73 million levy for Market improvements. See the Archives online exhibit Pike Place Market Centennial for more information about the history of the market.
Pike Place Market, New Lighting Fixtures, 1936. [Item No: 10390]
The Photograph Collection contains more than 6,600 Public Market related images, viewable at the Photograph Index. Most of these pictures are from the Department of Community Development Pike Place Market Visual Images and Audiotapes Collection
Next image -->